Volunteers making a difference…..
Volunteers are an integral and meaningful part of Downs & West Community Support (DWCS) by providing a range of support services to our neighbours in rural and remote areas of QLD.
There are many people in need, and whether you choose to donate your time, special skill, energy, enthusiasm or something else, the effort will be especially appreciated. The economic and destructive climatic conditions have brought extra stress to many, and volunteering is actually an ideal way to help alleviate some of that stress and tap into your more positive emotions.
Volunteers freely choose their involvement without expectation of payment.
Activities undertaken by our volunteers may include:
A. FUND RAISING
1. Making craft items for sale
2. Baking cakes, biscuits
3. Preparing jams, preserves
4. Baby and children’s clothes
5. Serving on stalls
6. Organising fund raising events in your local community, shopping center or parish
B. OFFICE and STORAGE ROOM
1. Sorting, stacking, labeling and packing items
2. Collecting donated items
3. Wrapping gifts
4. Preparing for functions
5. Follow-up phone calls
6. Take minutes and other computer work
C. PREPARING FOR FUNCTIONS
1. Sort items for forth coming function
2. Pack car
3. Assist at function (if possible)
1. Open to the unexpected
The majority of our activities are performed between 10am and 2pm, Monday to Friday
- After business hours or weekend work is very limited
- Some activities can be undertaken at home
- Male and Female welcome
- People under the age of 16 years must be supervised by a teacher or parent
- For some roles commitment to ongoing training is required
- Everyone must attend a compulsory 1-day Orientation program
- All Volunteers are asked to commit to 2 hours per fortnight ( flexible)
- Volunteer application form (see Become a Volunteer) to be completed together with a police check form and/or Blue Card application (if required)
Benefits of volunteering:
Did you know that you can reap many benefits from volunteering?
Read below to find out the benefits which you can gain from volunteering in your community.
Greater Health and Happiness. Whenever you step out of your one personal story and focus on being there for others, you will feel better, sleep better. It is extremely satisfying to do what you can to support others.
Meet new people. You gain greater self-confidence and expand your social circle.
Keep your skills active. You will learn more about your talents and strengths.
Develop and learn new skills. You will gain confidence in the skills you have to offer.
Connect with your community. You will be connecting with those in need in your immediate area. You will learn what your community needs and help to find ways to meet those needs. You may meet new friends in the process.
Options for a career. If you volunteer in your career field, you will make your resume look more well rounded. If you are changing fields and your volunteer work is in the field you are moving to, it can be considered experience. In general, employers like to see that you are a volunteer because it means that you are willing to work, have compassion, and are a team player.
Give back to the community. This is an opportunity to pat yourself on the back for helping somebody.
Gain feelings of accomplishment. You will genuinely feel better knowing you helped make life better for others.
Set a good example for others to follow. You set a good example for those around you.One person can make a difference, but when that difference is multiplied, it can be life changing. When you show family and friends how fulfilling volunteering can be, you set the example for them to follow.
A tribute to volunteers:
Valuable is the work you do,
Outstanding in how you always come through,
Loyal, sincere and full of good cheer,
Untiring in your efforts throughout the year,
Notable are the contributions you make,
Trustworthy in every project you take,
Eager to reach your every goal,
Effective in the way you fulfill your role,
Ready with a smile like a shining star,
Special and wonderful – that’s what you are!
Click or tap here to become a volunteer with DWCS.
National Volunteering Week: See Community Events.